In an update by the KwaZulu-Natal Department of Transport, graders have been working around the clock to remove snow, resulting in traffic moving slowly in the process to free trapped motorists, truck drivers and pupils. | Supplied
Durban – The KwaZulu-Natal Department of Transport has announced the reopening of several roads that were closed due to inclement weather.
On Sunday morning, KZN Department of Transport and Human Settlements MEC Siboniso Duma reported that graders had been working around the clock to remove snow, resulting in traffic moving slowly in the process to free trapped motorists, truck drivers and pupils.
Duma said their dedicated team from the Road Traffic Inspectorate and Infrastructure Unit had been working flat out with the entire disaster management teams involving SAPS, the SANDF, SA National Road Agency SOC Limited (Sanral), the N3 Toll Concession, Road Traffic Management Corporation, Agriculture and Rural Development, Co-operative Governance and Traditional Affairs, nationally and provincially including municipalities.
“We have deployed more graders to assist with the rescue operations,” Duma said.
He said that as of 9.20am, there was no access for cars from Montrose towards Johannesburg. Ice boulders are everywhere.
Traffic was moving slowly from Harrismith towards Montrose. As a result, Duma advised motorists not to attempt to use the N3 to Durban.
“Around Shell Garage towards Montrose, that’s where people have been stuck for two nights,” Duma said. “Trucks and cars are covered in snow.”
He said there were hundreds of trucks, with some jackknifed, making it difficult for graders to remove the snow as rescue teams had to remove one vehicle at a time.
“The team, however, is working hard and we see light at the end of the tunnel,” Duma said.
“We are using cutting-edge technology to monitor the road networks and are also using Sanral camera control centres.”
Duma said there was no cellphone coverage in some areas.
“We remain concerned that although thousands of motorists have been freed, others are still trapped,” he said.
“Last night (Saturday) we noted a distressed post for urgent help from radio presenter Penny Ntuli and others.”
The MEC said two buses with pupils in each remained their priority.
“We have assisted 67 learners from Qwabi Primary School who were travelling from Durban to QwaQwa. They had been stuck,” Duma said.
“We wish to assure those who are stuck and many others and their loved ones that the team have doubled their efforts to clear the snow.
“Our main focus is to enable the disaster management teams to urgently bring much-needed relief.”
With the deployment of more graders, Duma provided an update on roads:
Duma encouraged motorists to cancel unnecessary travel.
“We extend our appreciation to the private sector and many other non-governmental organisations that are taking part in this important rescue operation,” he added.
Meanwhile, three municipalities under the uThukela District Municipality have responded to the current inclement weather in the district.
The three local municipalities, Alfred Duma, Inkosi Langalibalele and Okhahlamba, have provided evacuation centres for people affected by the current weather which saw snowfall across the district.
On Saturday afternoon, uThukela District Municipality spokesperson Nomfundo Mazibuko said the following centres would be open for 24 hours:
“The Al-Imdaad Foundation, Red Cross and Gift of the Givers are on standby to provide relief material and hot meals at all evacuation centres,” Mazibuko said.
Response to current inclement weather:
WhatsApp your views on this story at 071 485 7995.
Daily News